[erlang-questions] Process spawn time with -smp

Rickard Green rickard.s.green@REDACTED
Mon Apr 9 04:49:04 CEST 2007

Hi!

This test program isn't especially nice to the smp emulator. When a
process is placed in the run-queue, scheduled in, or scheduled out, a
lock on the run-queue has to be held. When a child processes in this
program has been spawned, it is put in the run-queue, later scheduled
in, and then immediately scheduled out. Since the test will make sure
that there will be plenty of processes in the run-queue, all scheduler
threads available will be woken. Since the child processes doesn't do
anything, the scheduler threads will more or less only fight about the
run-queue lock.

I ran the test program myself on a couple of our machines, but I didn't
get as bad figures as you got. The worst I got was a little more than
twice the time for the smp emulator compared to the non-smp emulator on
a machine with four cores. When I ran the smp emulator with only one
scheduler thread on that same machine I got times 5-30% longer than for
the non-smp emulator. This comparison is more interesting since there
will not be such a fight about the run-queue lock, as described above,
when processes actually do something.

BR,
Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB.