[erlang-questions] Package Support/Use

Matthew Reilly matthew.reilly@REDACTED
Mon Oct 30 23:54:21 CET 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 14:07 -0800, Eric Merritt wrote:
> Guys,
>
>   Why aren't packages used more often? They have been in the language
> for more than three years or so now.

The documentation is pretty slim -- there's the packages(3) man page
(which doesn't seem to be referenced by many (any) other man pages).

The erlang reference manual (e.g.
http://www.erlang.se/doc/doc-5.5.1/doc/reference_manual/part_frame.html)
doesn't mention them (as far as I can tell).

Since there are not many examples of their use, perhaps the main reason
is plain old obscurity. As a self taught Erlang user, I've only heard
about them from a couple emails on this list. The first thing I did when
I saw a post about them was go to the reference manual and when I didn't
find them in there I assumed they were not a standard part of the
language.