[erlang-questions] trying to understand i/o threading (erl +A)

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Nov 14 11:53:21 CET 2006

In my experience, you will gain lots with +A even when
you have a local file system, e.g. if you have applications
that to tons of disk I/O. When playing around with Mnesia,
I've encountered situations where the shell became
unresponsive, while mnesia was busy dumping large amounts
of data to disk. Another symptom was that CPU load went
down dramatically and the VM just seemed to be constantly
waiting. Re-running the experiments with +A made a world
of difference.

/Ulf W