[erlang-questions] Questions about Erlang documentation

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Wed Nov 1 22:46:24 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 12:23:39AM +0300, Kirill Zaborski wrote:
> Investigating Erlang official documents I see a moment which I do not
> understand:
> In a lot of chapters I see something like "gen_server(3)" mentioned (That's
> from
> http://www.erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5.1/doc/design_principles/gen_server.html ).
> The first thought was about functions and their arity, but that's not a
> function of course. So what exactly is this?

In the UNIX world something of the form:

  foo(N)

in documentation typically refers to the man page for "foo" in section "N",
as in gen_server(3) which is the man page for the gen_server module in
section 3 of the erlang manual.

-Rick