[erlang-questions] ErlyWeb

Mikael Karlsson mikael.karlsson@REDACTED
Wed Nov 1 10:40:40 CET 2006

I agree with all your statements, maybe I was a bit unclear in my own ones,
I did not mean that you should mix infrastructure applications and web
applications (actually one of the reasons I started to work on yapp), but
that it is good to try and fit web applications, developed with ErlyWeb for
instance, into an OTP style.
One of the reasons for doing so is that you can make use of the OTP release
handler for adding/upgrading your web apps while the server(s) is (are)
running.
The problem is that, as you say, have different roles: Server maintainer, app
deployer, web applications developer, and as an applications developer you do
not have control over all the other applications running on the web server
that makes up to one OTP release package.

This means that one actually have to build OTP release package scripts on the
web server in order to deploy new (or upgrade old) web applications (or
infrastucture apps from Erlang/OTP itself or Yaws.) I do not think this is a
problem if you have the right tools made.

I look forward to see the presentations on ErlHive at EUC and see what it
brings to us, but Ulf has also made a nice OTP Release handling tutorial on
trapexit.org which I can recommend, and one of the things that you learn is
that you can have several "roots" for different application types.
The directory structure I would like to see for an Enterprise Yaws/ErlyWeb
would be something like:

/usr/local/lib/erlang - for Erlang/OTP

/home/yaws/yawsroot/  - Yaws/web infrastructure apps
   lib/yaws-1.65/
   lib/yaws-1.62/
   lib/yapp-0.2/
   lib/yfront-1.0/
   lib/ydeployrelease-1.0/
   lib/erltl-xx/
   lib/younameit-x.y/

/home/yaws/approot/   Web apps root
  releases/   - OTP Release handler stuff
  lib/webapp1-1.2/
  lib/webapp1-1.3/
  lib/webapp2-1.0/
  uzw.

So I develop my web app, tar it, HTTP POST it to my web server(s) app download
directory, and let the deployer, which probably is also me, untar it in the
webapps lib directory, make new OTP release package files, and deploy it
( all this using a nice web GUI developed in ErlyWeb, and having support for
clustered servers, of course :-).

/Mikael