Language Bindings for Erlang

Niall Dalton niall@REDACTED
Fri May 26 12:19:03 CEST 2006

Hi,

This thread brings me to a question on wrapping multithreaded libraries.

I have a C node that implements a set of callbacks expected by a certain
(proprietary) library by making calls to a remote erlang system. The
library hijacks the execution of the C program and is internally
multithreaded. I'm interested in a more efficient way to implement this
as usually I can expect there to be an erlang node running on the local
machine, to which I'd like to make my calls.

Ideally, I'd even like to implement the callbacks directly in Erlang.
However, with a c port program or c port driver (the most efficient I
believe), with multiple threads entering from the C side, can I expect
hilarity to ensue due to interactions with GC, signals, etc? Has any
experience wrapping such upstart libs?

thanks,
niall