PIDs an priority

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Mar 1 14:44:01 CET 2006

Eduardo Figoli wrote:

> Do you know what does imply in ERTS making a process high priority.
> I mean, for example 1000 child processes all of the them high
> priority, will it be a time when the main process (the one
> which spawns child processes) starts queueing messages?  more
> CPU power to handle thousands with good response times?

http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200104/msg00072.html

If you end up with most processes running at high priority,
you might as well bump them down to normal priority.

Note that the 'max' and 'high' priority levels are strict.
As long as processess are active at that level, lower
priorities get no cpu time at all.

/Ulf W