OpenSSL and hardware acceleration

Tomas Abrahamsson tomas.abrahamsson@REDACTED
Tue Jun 6 11:58:55 CEST 2006

On 5/31/06, dcocoyer <dcocoyer@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up Erlang ssl and crypto libraries to make use of my
> motherboard hardware acceleration (VIA padlock engine). OpenSSL (0.9.8b)
> is already using it (I can check it using 'openssl speed -evp
> aes-128-cbc -engine padlock' and it works), but when  I use  the
> accelerated ciphers  under  Erlang, the speed and cpu usage show that
> hardware acceleration is not used at all.

Does it work to add an engine section to the openssl.cnf file? On my
computer it seems to be located in /usr/lib/ssl/. I don't have any
computer with hardware acceleration at hand, so I can't check whether
this actually will work.

> Is esock_openssl.c also called by crypto:start()  ?

No. The esock_openssl.c is only used for ssl communication.
ssl:start() starts an external program, ssl_esock, which performs the
actual ssl encryption/decryption. The crypto:start() loads a linked-in
driver.

BRs
Tomas