Language Bindings for Erlang Again

Deryk Barker dbarker@REDACTED
Sat Jun 3 01:04:46 CEST 2006

Thomas Lindgren wrote:

>--- Michel Urvoy <michel.urvoy@REDACTED> wrote:
>

>>The other point of view is to open Erlang to other
>>language, because
>>what is to notice about Erlang? Everybody says that
>>it's a very
>>attractive language, but as far as I can see, it is
>>very few used.
>>This is the paradox of Erlang.
>>For example, there is now millions of web site, but
>>who knows one site written in Erlang?
>>

>Look harder.

Indeed. One of my students turned up this:

      27,000 Concurrent Erlang Poker Games

In the past six weeks, Joel Reymont has rewritten a large part of his
online poker software engine
<http://wagerlabs.com/tech/2005/05/27000-games.html> in Erlang
<http://erlang.org/>, with some impressive results:

    I have a PowerBook G4 1.25Ghz with 512Mb of memory. Running 27K
    games consumes about 600Mb of memory and takes around 15 minutes per
    10K games due to heavy swapping. I gave "top" a cursory look so this
    is a probably reason. Each game runs in about 0.02 to 0.07 seconds,
    depending on the number of games running.

at http://www.kendyck.com/2005/05/27000-concurrent-erlang-poker-games.php