How to run distributed Erlang through a firewall?

Tony Zheng tzheng@REDACTED
Thu Jun 1 20:24:43 CEST 2006

Hi Chandru

I deleted the ERL_FLAGS environment variable for SSL in Erlang. The
sys.config took effect this time.
    $ erl -name one -config /usr/local/erlang/bin/sys
    Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.4.12 [source] [hipe]
    Eshell V5.4.12  (abort with ^G)
    (one@REDACTED)1> application:get_all_env(kernel).
    [{inet_dist_listen_min,4367},
     {included_applications,[]},
     {inet_dist_listen_max,4368},
     {error_logger,tty}]
    (one@REDACTED)2> net_adm:names().
     {ok,[{"one",4367}]}

But the two erlang nodes didn't replicate yet even if the 4367--4368
ports of the two servers were forwarded on the routers. My understanding
is:
1. To set env parameters(inet_dist_listen_min and inet_dist_listen_max)
in sys.config, it will only take effect for general TCP layer. But the
erlang SSL still create a dynamic port for listening. The sys.config
will not take effect in SSL. Is it right?
2. If I don't use SSL and start erl commands with sys.config to restrict
the TCP ports distributed Erlang, it seems to force two Erlang nodes to
use only ports 4367--4368. But why will they not replicate between them?

Thanks.

tony