question about Erlang's future

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Thu Jul 6 14:45:25 CEST 2006

On 7/6/06, Francesco Cesarini <francesco@REDACTED> wrote:

> > What does this mean for Erlang's future?
>
> That was 8 years ago. So more than mean, I would use the word meant. The
> "ban" resulted in Erlang being released as open source, with numerous
> companies outside Ericsson adopting it and even more looking into it.
> (The person responsible to the "Ban" has since been promoted sideways).
> DOwnloads of the VM are at an all time high.
>
> > Has Ericsson abandoned Erlang
> > development besides periodic maintenance or will Ericsson push Erlang
> > in new directions?
>
> Ericsson is using Erlang internally, and quoting others on the list,
> like never before.
>
> > Where is Erlang heading?
>
> Proof for Ericsson acceptance is two clicks away from
> http://www.ericsson.com, following technology and open source.

Whew. That's reassuring.  It would be a shame if Ericsson truly
abandoned new development with Erlang, both for Erlang developers and
for Ericsson. My confidence in Erlang is now fully regained :)

Ericsson has a powerful language on its hands, and a great antidote to
mainstream server languages (Java/C#/PHP). It'll be interesting to see
Erlang challenging those languages in their home court, i.e., web
development.

My 2c.

Thanks for clarifiying!

Best,