optimization of list comprehensions

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Mon Feb 27 13:35:32 CET 2006

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) wrote:

> Samuel Rivas wrote:
>
>>Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) wrote:
>>

>>>I hesitate to say that it's bad practice, even
>>>though one will build a potentially large list
>>>unnecessarily, since it's actually looks a lot
>>>nicer than using lists:foreach().
>>
>>  Why? List comprehension is a tool to construct lists,
>>lists:foreach has different semantics.
>
> [...]
>
> 42 characters vs. 73, or seen another way:
> 7 characters of overhead vs 38.
>
> I don't fault programmers for choosing the
> construct that's both easiest to write and
> read, even if it means building a list unnecessarily.

   i too see lots of use of list comprehensions where lists:foreach/2 would be
more appropriate. i suspect the reason is twofold; lots of people are scared of
funs, and to most people (including me) a list comprehension is clearer.

   perhaps something like this could be introduced;
(whatever(L) || L <- List)

   the value of which would be 'ok' (just like lists:foreach).

   mats