Hardware recommendation

Gordon Guthrie gordonguthrie@REDACTED
Fri Feb 24 14:49:48 CET 2006

The DL585 is an enterprise class 64 bit Wintel server with on-board ILO
access, hot disk swap, dual power supplies. These are properly engineered,
very solid bits of kit.

We have around 500 Wintel class servers (1). Our old standard procurement was:
* DL360 (1U, 2 CPU, 2 disk, 32-bit)
* DL380 (2U, 2 CPU, 5 disk, 32bit)

We are currently shifting to the new 64-bit range as standard:
* DL365 (1U, 2 CPU, 2 disk, 64-bit)
* DL385 (2U, 2 CPU, 5 disk, 64-bit)
* DL585 (2U, 4 CPU, 5 disk, 64-bit)

The Proliant range was the old system standard Wintel kit for Scottish
Enterprise, Intelligent Finance/Halifax and Direct Line Financial Services
where I worked previously. 'Nobody ever got sacked for buying Hewlie-Pak!' -
Dell are not really regarded as enterprise ready in this space - the only
other option would be IBM kit which is rock solid.

I wouldn't regard Solaris 10 for X84/64-86 as enterprise ready and vetoed its
use on Wintel hardware here - (there was an additional complication that the
intention was to run it in virtual mode under VMWare which is even further
from being enterprise ready...)...

If I had the money to myself however, a DL585 running Solaris 10 would be just
smashing...

Gordon

(1) Wintel covers Netware, NT4 and Linux, I know, but what else can you do...