Never trust a statistics you didn't forge yourself

Marc van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Thu Feb 23 11:41:23 CET 2006

Hello Michael!

>>As an example that bad rankings don't cause any stirr
>>take
>>e.g. the big language shootout, which is discussed on
>>this
>>list occassionaly.
>
>And the reason for this could be, that they do not
>comment on the results at
>all ?

The (fictitious) analogon of the bit that offended me
would be something like:

   "Consider the good results for Erlang with a grain of
salt, because an influential member of the Erlang mailing
asked everyone to improve the benchmarks"

.. and that had not happened sofar.

I want to stress that I like to see Erlang in your paper,
but with real numbers, be they bad or good, otherwise what
is such a survey good for? I certainly don't want to force
it.

It is not that this stuff is in desperate need of
publicity. As a rough estimation of publicity I just
searched the ACM Digital Library.
Of 171,143 indexed items, we get following hits:

   Erlang      584
   MPI        1641
   PVM         670
   Beowulf     226