mnesia question

Renyi Xiong rxiong@REDACTED
Fri Feb 17 00:31:41 CET 2006

what if one node participant fails to respond (machine down or network down)
during commit process while the coordinator waiting for commit vote
('receive' waits forever for a message, right?)

the reason why I'm asking this question is that:

our system is designed to handle thousands of write transactions a second
and to have multiple replicas to provide fault tolerance. if one replica
down and fails to send 'mnesia_down' message. there is a good chance that a
commit process is on going.

does 'mnesia_monitor' on coordinator node handle that?

Thanks,
Renyi.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hakan Mattsson" <hakan@REDACTED>
To: "Renyi Xiong" <rxiong@REDACTED>
Cc: "Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED>;
<erlang-questions@REDACTED>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 2:04 AM
Subject: Re: mnesia question

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Renyi Xiong wrote:

RX> Thanks guys,
RX> It's really helpful for us to understand how Mnesia works.
RX>
RX> 1.My understanding is when one node initiates a write operation it sends
RX> message to each of the replicas at same time and doesn't care the write
RX> transaction status on other replicas. It's up to the transaction handler
on
RX> each node to handle the write transaction separately. Is that right?

Yes, this is true for normal transactions using
2pc. But it is not as bad as it sounds as the
transaction recovery protocol ensures that the
outcome of the transaction always is atomic.

If needed, Mnesia will automatically use 3pc as
transaction protocol. It is slower, but takes
care of transactions operating on multiple tables
which are replicated asymmetrically.

RX> 2.How do I know the write operation succeeds on at least
RX> on of the replicas including the one which initiates it?

Use mnesia:sync_transaction/1. It waits for all
participating nodes to complete their commit work
before it returns. It is slower, but needed in
some applications.

/Håkan

<hakan@REDACTED>