Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Romain Lenglet lenglet@REDACTED
Thu Feb 16 04:49:52 CET 2006

Douglas Philips wrote:
> On 2006 Feb 15, at 3:12 AM, Fredrik Thulin indited:
> > On Wednesday 15 February 2006 08:19, Douglas Philips wrote:
> > Packaging modules/whatever that usually gets installed via
> > some other packaging system like for example CPAN is
> > _incredibly_ difficult and frustrating. It makes it easy to
> > install something if you have the time
> > to log into each server where you want that something
> > installed, and run a command or two, but it makes it waay
> > more complicated to manage things on a larger scale.
>
> I don't see how you can avoid that, since you have to run the
> packaging install commands on each machine, right?
> Or you can image/ghost one machine and unghost it n-hundred
> times with some customization (name, IP address, whatever)...
> Once you have to visit each machine to install some software,
> you can easily have a script that you scp in and execute.

On Debian (sorry, I am very Debian-centric... ;-)), Full
Automatic Install, combined with cfengine (which is not
Debian-specific), is a good solution that does not require to
"visit" each machine explicitly to install software. There is no
need to interact with a system, locally or remotely, to install
the system from bare metal, and additional software. But this
requires to have packages for every software to install.

--
Romain LENGLET
Pr. Chiba Shigeru Group