Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Douglas Philips dgou@REDACTED
Thu Feb 16 01:16:44 CET 2006

> On 2006 Feb 15, at 5:07 AM, Romain Lenglet indited:
> But I think that this specific problem of multiple versions only
> rarely occurs (?), so we should not focus on it.

Not so rare, actually. Anyone who ships Java solutions has been
through that hell.
Esp. when one companies software "Needs" a specific version, yours
needs another, and there can be "only one" installed in the systems
normal/default location. Worse when one system patch is needed for
one package, but breaks another.

If this isn't a problem with Erlang, it is not because Erlang is
immune, it is because Erlang is not popular enough to have that many
developers working on enough projects/products...

OTOH, the more time goes by before Erlang is that popular, the more
(I hope) options there will be to solve this problem.

--D'gou