Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Claes Wikstrom klacke@REDACTED
Wed Feb 15 21:01:54 CET 2006

Fredrik Thulin wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 February 2006 14:24, Bengt Kleberg wrote:
>
>>On 2006-02-15 09:12, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
>>...deleted

Lots of opinions, I agree with Fredrik and Roman.

Wouldn't the following pretty much solve the situation
assuming that the Fredrik route is choosen.

1. Strip down OTP and make a base package consisting
    or erts, compiler, stdlib and kernel.

2. Take all other libs and make them standalone tarballs
    with their own configue, make, make install Makefiles

3. Establish rules, which are best practice on how
    to install erlang libs outside the base package.
    All libs in (2) should follow those rules.

Not a lot of work at all. Actually for the OTP crew
quite a bit of less work .. in the not so long run.

 From there on it's just up to the deb,rpm,emerge, ports
packagers to to their normal stuff with libs from (2)
_and_ here's the main point, with external libs as well
such as Yaws or stuff from jungerl. We want to
encourage this. .. right ?

Easy.

The whole idea of having multiple libs with multiple
versions installed at the same time is mostly orthogonal
to this. Besides, who wants that ?
And those who want it, typically build their own sw
around sw-upgrades to aid the process.

/klacke

--
Claes Wikstrom                        -- Caps lock is nowhere and
http://www.hyber.org                  -- everything is under control