[erlang-questions] Keep multiple erlang releases in the same mechine

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Fri Dec 15 18:19:27 CET 2006

Sanjaya Vitharana wrote:
>> /opt/erlang/R10B-9
>> /opt/erlang/R11B-1
>> /opt/erlang/R11B-2
>> and also create a link to the most recent release:
>>
>> ln -s /opt/erlang/R11B-2 /opt/erlang/current
>>

> Thanks Serge ...... this seems good for me too. But what about the ERL_TOP
> ???

What about it?  You need to have ERL_TOP explicitly set only when you
are doing a custom invocation of "make" in some leaf of the OTP tree
during a build process.  Once you have OTP installed (such as using the
"config --prefix="..." option, "make" and "make install"), you don't
need ERL_TOP set.

>> Then the programs such as /usr/local/bin/erl can be pointed to:
>>
>> /opt/erlang/current/bin/erl
>>
>> etc.
>>

> means .... all the ERL_BASE_PUB_FILES (in Makefile) should repoint to
> /opt/erlang/current/bin/<program file>. Is it ?

Yes.  Or else use the PATH environment setting as Dominic suggested.

--
Serge Aleynikov
Routing R&D, IDT Telecom