[erlang-questions] Orber: struct IFR id not found

Niclas Eklund nick@REDACTED
Fri Dec 15 09:37:16 CET 2006

Hello!

The IFR (Interface Repository) contains information that Orber needs to be
able to decode some data types, i.e. map an IFR id to the correct Erlang
record (struct, union etc). Using light IFR most operations exported from
the module 'orber_ifr' can no longer be used, but on the other hand, it's
not common that one needs to traverse the contents in the IFR in a user
application. Hence, if the IFR is not explicitly used and the Light IFR
flag is set, Orber will use a minimal IFR to reduce memory usage (lodaded
code and data stored in Mnesia) and installation time.

Note, Light IFR and Lightweight Orber is *not* the same thing. The current
implementation of Lightweight Orber is rather blunt (was added before the
IFR was improved). With the new IFR and changes in IC, it's now possible
to create a proper lightweight Orber.

/Nick