Erlang downsides?

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 15:55:40 CEST 2006

James Hague wrote:
> Exactly.  And other dynamic languages--including Ruby and
> Python--simply link to the standard Perl regular expression library.
> In Erlang regular expression are slow because they're implemented
> entirely in high-level Erlang (which is simultaneously cool and slow).

Larry Wall, in a talk on Perl 6: "Now, the thing I really wanted to get
to, which we think will influence the world outside of Perl is we saw
how everyone borrowed Perl 5 compatible regular expressions, and we
figured - well, you know, they're a really big mess, and we're sorry,
but we're changing them now, now that you've just borrowed them."

	/Richard