Database Layer

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 10:57:33 CEST 2006

On 8/31/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Rudolph van Graan wrote:
>
> > 1 - A high performance Postgres native implementation with complete
> > transaction support and connection pooling
>
> How is this different from pgsql in jungerl?

It has no connection pooling, although I think connection pooling is a
bad idea. It is better to pool multiple instances of the server
application instead of the underlying connection it uses, since a
connection session has state (prepared statements and temporary
tables) associated to it. Those are things a gen_server could create
at Mod:init/1 and use for the lifetime of the connection.

The support for transactions isnt encapsulated in a similar nice way
as mnesia:transaction/1. Manual calls to BEGIN and END. Also pgsql
doesnt use any OTP behaviours, that area could be improved for
supervision and error logging.

A jdbc backend is an idea ive had too, but i think it should be hidden
behind a portable front end which can have more efficiently
implmemented native or port/cnode backends.