Mnesia dB size limits

Rudolph van Graan rvg@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 08:33:33 CEST 2006

Hi Valentin & Damir,

Maybe the problem is that it is not actually clear what the answers
are. Even reading each one of the questions and all the answers over
the last four years I still don't know the exact answer myself.

I can confirm that large tables (disc_copies) in a node that crashed
can take a *very* long time to rebuild even if there are no DETS
issues, especially if there are additional index fields on the field.
(Mnesia creates a new ETS table for each index and needs to get the
data into them). Ulf and I have fixed this in RDBMS by adding indexes
that are now first class tables in mnesia. So be careful with
indexes. (BTW if you get an MS SQL Server with a lot of data into
"recovery" it will also take a very long time to recover - sometimes
hours at a time)

I've seen Mnesia crash a couple of times with funnies like this:
(Usually on 1Gb or larger tables)

=ERROR REPORT==== 29-Dec-2005::16:12:01 ===
Mnesia(tutuka@REDACTED): ** ERROR ** (core dumped to file: "d:/sys/
MnesiaCore.zuma@REDACTED")
  ** FATAL ** {error,{"Cannot open dets table",
                      isopacketlog,
                      [{file,"d:/sys/db/packetstorage.DAT"},
                       {keypos,2},
                       {repair,true},
                       {type,set}],
                      {bad_freelists,"d:/sys/db/packetstorage.DAT"}}}

We also have made it a "rule" in our design team never to use Mnesia
for archiving data (i.e. as a warehouse) for the reason that by
default mnesia keeps all the data in a table in *RAM* unless you use
disc_only_copies and there is thus an upper limit to the size of the
table. To solve this, we usually feed archive data (i.e. event
records, logs etc) into an SQL database via some mechanism.

It does become interesting where you need the data "online" all the
time, i.e. requiring random access read/write to records. This
problem you solve by partitioning via whatever mechanism you choose.
Mnesia is brilliant for this type of system as reads have virtually
no cost. In the old days (other languages) I used to be very careful
in doing any SQL access, but I've learned that you can disregard that
concern with Mnesia altogether.

Valentin - maybe you can share some of your experience with large
Mnesia databases with us? What are the things we need to be careful of?

Br,

Rudolph

Pattern Matched Technologies
www.patternmatched.com