ErlyDB now has many-to-many relations support

Rudolph van Graan rvg@REDACTED
Thu Aug 31 08:16:55 CEST 2006

Hey Yariv,

I think you are certainly onto something here... A couple of comments
below.

Looking over the code for project, developer etc the one thing that
bugs me is that I cannot see which fields/methods the files contain.
So it is cool being able to generate the methods on the fly, but it
makes very little sense not being able to guarantee what methods will
be in the module between regeneration attempts. I am tempted to say
that you will have to build in some mechanism with which to
explicitly define methods. Maybe generate a .hrl file or a .erl that
is a stub calling the dynamic code. Look at the orber mechanism for
translating IDL files in erlang - that creates explicit function
definitions.

So looking at this:

-module(project).
-compile(export_all).

relations() ->
     [{many_to_one, [language]},
      {many_to_many, [developer]}].

I cannot see the table name it maps to (assuming it is the same as
the module name?), nor that it is actually a dynamically generated
module (think -behaviour(....) ) or maybe use a couple of attribute
flags in the code. Also, I cannot see from the relations() which
fields link to which in the tables - it is not necessarily true that
the fields have the same name in both tables or do you reverse
engineer the relations on the database level to establish these links?

Rgds,

Rudolph van Graan

Pattern Matched Technologies
Web:     www.patternmatched.com