Erlang does have problems

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Wed Aug 30 22:29:12 CEST 2006

The overhead of lists-as-strings on 64-bit platforms is 8x for latin-1
text for just the 8-bit vs 64-bit data types, which completely ignores
the overhead of the list itself and whatever overhead there is to
tracking integers (if that's what Erlang does). At some point, all of
that storage bloat has to end up being a loss due to all of the memory
bandwidth being used up.

Inserting and deleting pieces could be fast operations if
iodata-of-just-binaries were allowed instead of requiring binaries.
All of the slicing and dicing should be memory-friendly since the
majority of the time it will be a view on some larger binary in
memory... so really it should be faster and more memory efficient in
many cases because splitting a binary in half doesn't require copying
of the first N/2 elements of the list.

-bob