setting up distributed environment

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Wed Aug 30 15:30:20 CEST 2006

It's a bit unclear what do you mean by a 'master' node.  Mnesia doesn't
have a notion of a master or slave.  Any node that has a replicated
table can have local writes to that table that will be propagated to
other replicas.  The level of control that mnesia gives you is what
nodes host disk/ram copies of a table.

In your application you could have two nodes running on two separate
hosts with tables created using 'disc_copies' option.  The mnesia
application would need to be started with the 'extra_db_nodes' option
containing these two nodes ['app@REDACTED', 'app@REDACTED'].  The remaining
nodes could have mnesia started with the same 'extra_db_nodes' option,
and have these tables replicated as ram_copies if needed.  This option
would be applicable if you needed to provide quick local access to
tables by some other node 'x@REDACTED'.

You should be concerned with the fact that the more nodes you have a
table replicated to, the longer each transactional write to such a table
will take, and also the more sensitive your overall solution will be to
intermittent network outages.

Regards,

Serge