What is a Supervisor REALLY doing?

Lennart Ohman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Wed Aug 30 00:19:41 CEST 2006

Hi!

> 	I have no book and have taken no class. I'm in
> 	southern california and have been fiddling with erlang
> 	for a month. I understand the PURPOSE of a supervisor.
> 	To monitor child(?) process states.
>

> It is not just to monitor. It is it monitor and restart processes as
> specified.

I like to add that to start with, one of the important things
with the supervisor and the hierarchy of processes you can build
is that you get a deterministic start-up of your system.
Meaning that a supervisor does not begin to start its next-in-line
child (according to the order of the children in the "children
specification") until the previous one is finished with its
"init-phase". (Being finished with the init-phase means that
the init-function of the child has returned. Note that supervisors
start their children in its init-phase).

Best Regards,
Lennart

Lennart Ohman                   office  : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjoland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 67 35
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 82 30
SE-115 28, STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN    email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED