Motorbikes does have problems (was Erlang does have problems)

Taavi Talvik taavi@REDACTED
Tue Aug 29 23:36:18 CEST 2006

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:02 AM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Mickael Remond wrote:
>
>> Expat use is not at all related to a memory problem. It is related to
>> effiency. The XMPP protocol rely on a stream parser. Expat is probably
>> the most ancien, stable and efficient stream parser around. This is
>> the
>> reason why it is used in ejabberd.
>
> I fully agree with you. I just got an idea to build on top of ejabberd
> and yaws. I'm also hipe-d by my recent porting experience :-). I might
> tackle a shared pool of expat drivers since I believe this is what's
> needed. Memory use can be easily improved by giving binaries to the
> expat driver since it takes them. This is not being done last time I
> looked, not everywhere.

erlsom is quite promising.

XML is thought as really generic solution for all possible problems with
generic parsers to handle it.

Principle of universal effectiveness:
	More generic tool is - less efficient.
	More specialized tool is - more efficient.

best regards,
taavi