Erlang SMPP vs ColdFusion SMPP implementation

Anders Nygren anders.nygren@REDACTED
Tue Aug 29 16:40:29 CEST 2006

On 8/28/06, Andrés Valenciano <andres-lists@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was asking in an Adobe forum about how to scale their SMPP
> implementation in Cold Fusion and some one post an answer about it
> telling me that "network latency & the SMPP server are more likely to be
> a bottleneck than the cf SMS gateway".
>
> Does anyone could give me some information about it and/or share some
> experiences about those two factors as the most possible problems?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Andrés

Andres
I dont have any experience with ColdFusions SMPP implementation but I have
experience with oserl, (the erlang SMPP implementation).

In SMPP You can send several requests to the SMSC without waiting for a responce
for the previous requests.
The operators normally do not like it when an ESME sends a flod of requests so
they impose some limits on what You are allowed to do, the most common are
1, windowing, i.e. You may only have N outstanding requests that have not
received a response
2, rate limit, i.e. You may only send N requests per second

(In SMPP 5.0, there is a new congestion control mechanism, but I do
not think that
there are that many operators that support SMPP 5.0 yet.)

I few minutes googling on coldfusion and smpp I found this
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Documentation&file=00001671.htm

Just let me know if You have any more questions on SMPP or oserl.

/Anders