Erlang for web-developers

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Aug 29 16:13:54 CEST 2006

--- Andrés Valenciano <andres-lists@REDACTED>
wrote:

> ke han wrote:
> > This does add to the erlang sales pitch problem.
>
> Yes it is a problem, some times when others have
> used only one tool for
> everything for years and before that another tool
> for everything...they
> are difficult people to talk to or persuade to
> change from their comfort
> zone about development.
>
> Most of the things I heard were the same that were
> thrown to the Rails
> guys: pool of people to work with the "technology",
> "enterprise
> standard" for web apps, blah blah blah (well, not
> one thing about
> scalability in this case :) )

Most developers and managers play "follow the leader"
and get upset if there are several ones :-) But those
guys are basically the prize of the winner, and there
is little point in trying to convince them at this
stage.

Instead, I think what is needed is a community of
technical pioneers, who overcome real problems and
codify them into software solutions. This is
attractive to people who are having problems and are
willing to try something new. In this specific case,
an "OTP for web developers", perhaps?

Basically, these pioneers will be the core of the
snowball at the top of the hill, and the followers
will be the big outer layer at the bottom.

Best,
Thomas