Erlang for web-developers

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Mon Aug 28 22:44:24 CEST 2006

Joel,

There's an interesting 4-article series about the difficulties of
scaling a high volume Rails app here:
http://poocs.net/articles/2006/03/13/the-adventures-of-scaling-stage-1.

It would be interesting for you to read.

>From these articles, it sounds like scaling Rails is quite hard, and
when you reach certain bottlenecks, it's hard to diagnose where they
are.

On my blog, I'm occasionally having issues sometimes when users can't
submit comments. When I try to restart lighttpd, I get runaway Ruby
processes that don't shut down. Even "sudo killall -kill ruby" doesn't
work. The only option is to do "su" and then "kill -kill PID" for each
Ruby process. Sometimes doing this and then restarting Lighttpd works,
but sometimes my only choice is to restart the server.

This might be something specific to my environment (I have a virtual
server). I can't say conclusively whether this is a problem with Rails
or if I messed up the setup somehow. I have a recent version of Rails
and Typo.

Best,
Yariv