Erlang for web-developers

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Mon Aug 28 20:15:51 CEST 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 9:41 PM, Joel Reymont wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2006, at 1:47 PM, Yariv Sadan wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the response. Apparently Rails has reached its scalability
>> limits once my blog has reached a few thousand visitors, and now it
>> experiences intermittent errors that I'm at a loss to fix. Very
>> annoying.
>
> Make sure it's not your hosting provider. I get reddit people too
> from time to time and my blog used to suck when I was with
> Dreamhost. I moved to Planet Argon and my site is much better now.
> I do run Typo.
>
> Many people are running Typo and getting thousands of hits. Of
> course they don't try to handle all their load on a single box.

exactly the point....without lots of carefully managed and well
configured components, an app built on something like Rails won't be
reliable when you get spiked.

The recommended approaches to scaling with rails do work, but there
are _lots_ of parts to install and configure just so.  Companies like
textdrive and the soon to be released railsbase are obviously hoping
to cash in on solving this problem.  Within the next year or so, you
should be able to host your Rails app on a grid like hosting system
and draw from a well configured and managed "mega-host".  FYI, it
looks as though the textdrive (maybe railsbase) folks will be running
this new grid on Niagra servers.  I have no special inside knowledge,
I just try to keep up with what info is available...but I"m pretty
sure on all this speculation.
So if your app fits into the well defined sweetspot of what Rails
does well, you will be able to publish your app and pay for resource
usage like any other well managed utility instead of owning and
managing your own server cluster.

But if you want an app that doesn't fit into the Rails sweet spot or
if you need it today or if you need to mitigate lower operations
costs than these new utility like hosting services might
provide....well your back to square one ;-).

I spent about 2 months working with Rails this year.  I'm back to
redoing the app in erlang.

ke han