Timer:tc

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Mon Aug 28 10:36:43 CEST 2006

I usually write a benchmark loop allowing me to measure over enough
iterations to bring the times into at least hundreds of milliseconds or
seconds. Then I repeat several times and take the lowest value (least
amount of interference). Then (of course), I divide the time by the
number of iterations.

I also usually repeat the procedure with an empty loop, and calculate
the difference.

It's reasonable to spawn a new process for each iteration, to make sure
that the measurement doesn't start with lots of garbage on the heap.

BR,
Ulf W