How to implement multiple sockets per client?

Jeff Crane jefcrane@REDACTED
Sat Aug 26 05:31:40 CEST 2006

I have a simple single connection server, no problem.

I would think that there would be quite an advantage
to dual sockets beyond the restriction of protocols.
More efficient reading/writing over time, failover in
the case of a socket collapse due to unexpected IO
behavior in development.

I'm not sure how the timeline of which languages had a
library that provided a bidirectional non-blocking
network socket applies. Just because there exists a
paradigm, it doesnt naturally follow that it's been
implemented in erlang by default. The question is how
one might do dual (input/output) sockets in in erlang
per client. The answer seems to be, use 1 socket (and
verify the client via protocol...IP is unreliable) or
clone the socket on accept.

My traffic IN to my server is > 1/1000 my traffic
OUT...and my traffic OUT is lots of data as fast as
possible (machine state updates). Is there such a
thing as a pure input/output socket in erlang? I was
under the impression that "receive" was basically a
select() so I figured dual socket was the way to go.