Lisp-Python vs. Erlang (was MLvtA, was Meta)

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Fri Aug 25 12:28:16 CEST 2006

This is fun!

Here is my Erlang translation of the GPS from Norvig, following the
lisp code as closely as possible.

I found it quite kludgy to write in erlang. I ended up using a
deprecated function from lists.erl, and there were some features of
lisp like named parameters and extension parameters that seemed quite
nice - although perhaps not so much until Luke forcefully pointed out
the benefits :-)

Heavy higher order function programming certainly seems less elegant
in Erlang than lisp or any of the modern statically typed functional
languages.

Sean

-module(gps).

-export([gps/3]).

-record(op,
         {
           action,
           preconds = [],
           add_list = [],
           del_list = []
          }).

gps(State, Goals, Ops) ->
     put(state, State),
     put(ops, Ops),
     lists:all(fun achieve/1, Goals).

achieve(Goal) ->
     State = get(state),
     Ops = get(ops),
     lists:member(Goal, State) orelse
         lists:any(fun apply_op/1, find_all(Goal, Ops, fun
appropriate_p/2)).

appropriate_p(Op, Goal) ->
     lists:member(Goal, Op#op.add_list).

apply_op(Op) ->
     case lists:all(fun achieve/1, Op#op.preconds) of
         true ->
             io:format("Executing ~p~n",[Op#op.action]),
             put(state, get(state) -- Op#op.del_list),
             put(state, merge(get(state), Op#op.add_list)),
             true;
         false ->
             false
     end.

merge(L1, L2) ->
     lists:merge(lists:sort(L1), lists:sort(L2)).

find_all(Goal, Ops, Pred) ->
     lists:filter(Pred, [Goal], Ops).