Learn Erlang in 5 seconds - competition - win a prize

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Fri Aug 25 03:47:57 CEST 2006

"Joe Armstrong \(TN/EAB\)" <joe.armstrong@REDACTED> wrote:
(1) I have been asked to hold a talk at a Smalltalk conference <gulp>
(2) As part of the lecture I have promised to hold a "5 second Erlang course"
(3) < the 10 second category is wide open >

Since these are Smalltalk people, start with what you *agree* about:

    Like Smalltalk, Erlang is an open dynamic language with a Lisp heritage.
    Smalltalk makes data structure design easy; Erlang was invented to make
    massively concurrent distributed process design easy.  Erlang processes
    have identity, state, and behaviour, and interact by sending messages;
    if you know the history of Smalltalk this is deja vu all over again
    except that Erlang prevents many concurrency problems by having read-only
    data, so that classes would be less useful.

That should be about 10 seconds.