Metaprogramming

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc@REDACTED
Wed Aug 23 19:43:54 CEST 2006

Meta functions? like as in scheme:

(define (lambda (x y)
                  (lambda (x)
                       (* x y) ) ) )

?

I think Erlang has a very weak meta programming ability.  You can't
define your "meta functions" in the language - they are strings.

An excellent blog article:
http://www.cabochon.com/~stevey/blog-rants/digging-into-ruby-symbols.html

Talks about the same thing in Ruby - Ruby has limited metaprogramming
abilities, mostly turning text strings into functions.  Steve (the
author) talks about why this is less than desirable and how and why a
fuller metaprogramming model is preferable.

-ryan