Movidis: A 16x core 600Mhz low-power MIPS machine

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Tue Aug 22 03:22:30 CEST 2006

Are there any corp sponsored folks on this list that can get one of
these to test out erlang?  Note this chip also has integrated
encryption (as does the Sun Niagra chip).
I am launching an online product in a few months and have looked at
the Sun T2000 as well suited platform.  I have tried to get Sun to be
reasonable about giving me a discount on one of these new boxes (they
really cost about $13,000 once you add on little features such as RAM
and SAS hard drives ;-)...Sun is doing well these days and has gone
back to their old arrogant behavior I've seen from the first dot com
days.  They are simply a tough company to partner with if you don't
have blank checks to pass around.
I would welcome some competition with this new 16 way chip!!!
One thing I notice about the specs on this Movidis server...the
motherboard only has 4 memory slots !!!  Seriously, 8 should be an
obvious requirement for something like this.  Havng 4, makes you
immediate step up to 2GB modules which are still on the front end of
the price curve.
ke han