Erlang article #1 on programming.reddit.com

Christian S chsu79@REDACTED
Fri Aug 18 09:44:45 CEST 2006

I'm in the camp that doesnt limit the meaning of "loop" to only be
imperative code with destructive assignment. I think a recursive
function is as much of a loop as anything else.  I forget who, but
havent someone clever in the ways of computer science proved that
imperative and recursive code are equal in computability?

It is the effect of having the same code being used repeatedly that is
the important thing. My not so humble opinion though.

I guess this thread only exists because people have slightly different
definitions of "loop", and like others I feel that I have no immediate
need or desire to change my idea of what "loop" means.

So far I havent seen any "noob" ask to have erlang turn into a more
imperative language. If they would do so, one can just point them to
the existing languages in that category.