Attaching a shell to a running node.

Serge Aleynikov serge@REDACTED
Thu Aug 17 22:32:06 CEST 2006

In the embedded mode you need to start the node using "run_erl" command,
and use "to_erl" to attach to the node's console.

See:
http://www.erlang.org/doc/doc-5.5/erts-5.5/doc/html/index.html

This is a preferred way for running embedded systems in production.
Another benefit here is that all console activity gets logged in this
mode, and run_erl takes care of file rotations.

If you don't need to access the node's console, but just need to run a
shell on a remote node, you can start a non-embedded node and use the
-remsh option:

$ erl -sname b -remsh a@REDACTED
Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5 [source] [async-threads:0] [hipe]
[kernel-poll:false]

Eshell V5.5  (abort with ^G)
(a@REDACTED)1>

Serge Aleynikov