Erlang article #1 on programming.reddit.com

Logan, Martin Martin.Logan@REDACTED
Thu Aug 17 21:36:43 CEST 2006

You are scaring me, who is talking of adding loops.  I will stop using
Erlang if I see a for loop :-) No more single assignment? That would
make Erlang rather messy.  Plus function clauses and recursion + loops
inside function clauses themselves will greatly increase the cognative
load imposed upon anyone trying to understand Erlang code.  One of the
greatest things about Erlang is that after a few months of coding it you
can dive into the kernel, read code, and understand what you are reading
- try doing that with Java, damn, try doing that with any OO/procedural
language.

Martin

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED
[mailto:owner-erlang-questions@REDACTED] On Behalf Of Ryan Rawson
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 1:30 PM
To: Joel Reymont
Cc: Yariv Sadan; erlangquestions
Subject: Re: Erlang article #1 on programming.reddit.com

Surely you jest?

You'd have to break Erlang to insert loops.  First off you'd have
variables that need to be changed.  That substantiably breaks Erlang
imho.

If you want to loop, you probably want to map or fold.  If you need to
loop you might want to use gen_server instead, or at the last resort
use a tail recursive call.