Victory? (was Re: Mac Intel)

Mikael Pettersson mikpe@REDACTED
Wed Aug 16 17:58:24 CEST 2006

Mikael Pettersson writes:
 > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:22:14 +0100, Joel Reymont wrote:
 > > When do you think this will happen?

 > > > I'll handle that bit.
 >
 > This week, in a day or two.

Completed. Download the following URLs:
http://www.it.uu.se/research/group/hipe/snapshots/otp-0804.tar.gz
http://www.it.uu.se/research/group/hipe/snapshots/tests-0804.tar.gz
http://www.it.uu.se/research/group/hipe/snapshots/patch-otp-0804-1-x86-aligned-c-stack

otp-0804 is a current snapshot from the branch that will become R11B-1
fairly soon, tests-0804 is the corresponding snapshot of the HiPE test
suite, and patch-otp-0804-1-x86-aligned-c-stack is the patch to make
the runtime system maintain a 16-byte aligned C stack on x86-32.

After unpacking otp-0804 and applying the patch above, you should
update your R11B-0 patches to apply to this code base. Do it in
separate steps for separate issues, something like:
- support for OSX/x86-32 floating-point exceptions
- changes to handle OSX/x86-32 assembly syntax
- changes for sigaction() override on OSX/x86-32
- anything else

This should result in a set of patches to be applied in a specific order.
Then make them publicly available and we'll start reviewing them.

Why not do this against R11B-0? There are already enough changes to the
runtime system that patches against R11B-0 don't automatically apply to
or work in the current snapshots. Since R11B-1 isn't very far away, it
seems more appropriate to develop for that; you can always backport the
changes to R11B-0 if necessary.