Port driver communication witout copy of binaries

Raimo Niskanen raimo@REDACTED
Wed Aug 16 11:06:06 CEST 2006

Ah!

After spending some time in gdb I can inform you that it is not
a bug, nor your mistake, it is a feature :-)

Since your two binaries are so-called heap binaries, that is
(roughly) binaries smaller than 64 bytes, they are regarded
as list data too. That is because they have no off-heap reference
counted data storage that can be utilised for driver outputv.

If you make any binary larger than 64 bytes it should behave
as you expected.

And, the first vector entry is intenionally left empty for
the driver to use if it wants to add header data, avoiding
to copy the whole ErlIOvec structure to make room for
a header vector entry.

Notes:

There is a possibility that this 64 byte limit may change in any
OTP release, since it is an optimisation parameter.

In general, when using the driver outputv interface, one can not
assume it is possible to maintain structure information from the
erlang I/O-list down to the ErlIOvec data. Both are just
serial data on different forms and the byte order is the
only thing absolutely certain.

Some assumptions are safer than others, though:
* Small data may be concatenated into a common binary.
* A binary that is kept is kept as it is.

So the driver->outputv() code must be prepared to get data
on different forms. The ErlIOvec format is an optimization
to avoid copying and the VM uses it at its own conveniance.