Victory? (was Re: Mac Intel)

Bob Ippolito bob@REDACTED
Tue Aug 15 19:00:26 CEST 2006

On 8/15/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
> Does this tell you anything? I'm digging further.
>
> Program received signal EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION, Illegal instruction/
> operand.
> 0x000a4702 in hipe_bifs_get_hrvtime_0 (A__p=0x12dbc94) at hipe/
> hipe_bif1.c:893
> 893         f.fd = get_hrvtime();

This is almost definitely a stack alignment issue. The ABI on Mac OS X
IA32 requires a vector aligned stack (16 bytes at function call
points). No other platforms require this, so HiPE probably doesn't
ensure it in the code it generates. EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION happens when
you use an instruction that requires aligned operands but don't
provide them aligned.

-bob