dets with Mnesia question

Yariv Sadan yarivvv@REDACTED
Tue Aug 15 14:39:08 CEST 2006

Hi,

I like this idea. I was also thinking maybe it would be possible to
use Mnesia's transaction capabilities to get the freelist consistency
"for free."

Here's a possible solution:

1) Make dets freelist management "pluggable" (otherwise, use Smerl to
hack it in runtime :) )

2) When used with Mnesia, each dets table would have an associated
disc_copies table for persisting the freelist.

3) Each dets write operation would involve a trasaction across the
dets table and the freelist table.

Advantage: the freelist would be kept in RAM for performance, and it
will also always have a consistent representation on disc. The safe
synchronization comes for free by reusing Mnesia's transaction
capabilities.

Fear: Mnesia's disc_copy tables are not suitable for storing the Freelist.

Fear2: Possible slow performance

What do you think?

Best
Yariv