HiPE and SIGFPE

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Aug 15 10:37:37 CEST 2006

--- Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@REDACTED> wrote:

> FP values in Erlang must always be finite, that is,
> infinities
> and not-a-numbers are not allowed. To implement this
> BEAM includes
> a runtime check at the end of each FP operation, to
> signal badarith
> in case of FP errors.

As an aside, I'm not at all convinced that this was
the right design choice for Erlang FP. Implementation
aside, this choice also makes it "challenging" to
provide IEEE 754 compliance, something which is
occasionally required. Supersize the irony since the
underlying hardware as a rule already does (or close
enough).

Thanks for the interesting discussion on the ins and
outs of fp, by the way.

Best,
Thomas