Commercial Mac IDE

Simon Chappell simonpeterchappell@REDACTED
Fri Aug 11 19:31:10 CEST 2006

On 8/11/06, Vlad Dumitrescu <vladdu55@REDACTED> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 8/11/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:
> > I want to build and sell a Mac IDE for Erlang. Elegant, powerful,
> > easy to use. Something I would use myself to build other things I
> > have in mind. So please let me know what you think and hold no punches!
>
> This is a large project, and if only for Macs, usefult for not so many...

On the other hand, the Mac community have a strong track record of
supporting shareware authors by actually paying for the software.
While normally, an outsider might view the Mac community as too small,
they generally are capable of supporting quite an amount of shareware
authors.

Oh and they tend to be fairly fanatically loyal as well. :-)

> Just a thought: have you looked at Eclipse and Erlide? It works on Macs too!

I've used Eclipse, but I haven't tried Erlide.

Personally, I'd gladly consider a dedicated Erlang IDE on the Mac. If
it wasn't priced too high, I'd most likely buy it.

A decent IDE and good tutorials are the primary things holding most of
us beginners that lurk on the list. I know I believe in the principles
of Erlang, but I haven't quite written the critical mass of lines of
code necessary to really feel like I've "groked" it.

Is there any chance that you can write the Erlang version of DrScheme?
(An IDE and tutorial all in one. :-)

Simon

--
www.simonpeter.org