Erlang for desktop applications?

Andrew Lentvorski bsder@REDACTED
Thu Aug 10 08:33:16 CEST 2006

Thomas Lindgren wrote:

> Wasn't your initial point that you wanted to exploit
> multicore systems? When the clock rate is constant,
> your future speedup is determined by available
> parallelism, which means you may have to design your
> system and algorithms for parallel execution.

As an aside, even something as "primitive" as a Nintendo DS, qualifies
as multicore since it has an ARM9 and an ARM7 as well as a graphics chip.

Most of the primitive I/O runs on the ARM7 processor which gets used as
a slave.  The heavy computation goes into the ARM9 and the graphics gets
offloaded.

The ARM9 and ARM7 even have a hardware FIFO which triggers interrupts so
that the ARM9 and ARM7 can pass things back and forth asynchronously.

-a