Erlang for desktop applications?

ke han ke.han@REDACTED
Mon Aug 7 11:09:23 CEST 2006

I think your question isn't so straightforward.
Lets ignore erlang's lack of certain UI library wrappers for a moment
to think about what a desktop apps' UI will look like in 5 years.
As you stated:

> But, do you see Erlang suitable for developing future (more than 5
> years
> from now) desktop applications?

A "desktop app" in 5 years will most likely fall into one of 2
categories:
1 - Traditional GUI app...highly integrated UI and domain logic for
graphics intensive apps (think Photoshop).
2 - 2-tier: View separated from domain logic.  Think of just about
every next-gen web app being written today (this includes
replacements for fairly complex and expressive UIs such as Word and
Excel)

So, unless you are creating things like Photoshop (I bet we'll see a
web service replacement for 80% of its' features in the next 5 years)
or Wings3D, think of the "App UI", not the "Desktop UI".  There are
many variations on a meme for creating App UIs (in browser, Flash,
"smart components which talk to servers (local and remote".)
If your app fits into this later category, I'd say erlang is a better
fit than many languages for the domain part of the app.  The View
part will be HTML, Javascript, Haxe, Flash, VRML, who knows...this
new App UI infrastructure stuff "sits on top of / integrated into"
your Desktop GUI, so the App developer is not concerned at this level.

Adding erlang wrappers to various GUI libraries (GTK, Win32, Cocoa)
is a straightforward matter.  "How do you really want to build a new
desktop app (regardless of language)?" is the hard part.

There has been some talk on the yaws list and some here regarding
dynamic Web UIs.  This is the general direction app developers are
taking and there will exist / do exist methods to make these apps
"work like / install like" the desktop apps you are accustomed.

regards, ke han