Simple DB Access

Ryan Rawson ryanobjc@REDACTED
Sat Aug 5 01:13:37 CEST 2006

OCI is very mature and would probably work ok as a linked in driver.
Our in-house API just makes OCI calls so you dont have to - OCI is
very... baroque to say the least.  You don't want to deal with that
stuff just to do the basics.  No wire-format necessary - you don't
want to go down that path, you're asking for a world of hurt.  For
example, most libraries which implement the oracle 'wire protocol'
can't handle things like RAC.

As for the atom thing - you can't have a SQL statement as an atom.  I
dont think a 5000 character atom is really supported well.  SQL
statements do get that big.  Typically a few hundred chars - still not
really atom-land.  Like I said, just hash the string and use that as a
unique key into a table of prepared statements.  Or whatever.

As for the SQL 92 parser - that is a little unnecessary.  Your client
library doesn't have to understand SQL.  If the statement doesn't
begin with 'select' (adjusting for white space) then it doesn't return
a resultset generally.  Underlying APIs don't always make you
understand the difference, and tell you specifically after it executes
what kind of statement it was.  Don't try to parse the SQL - that is
not your job.  Your job is to smooth over the C api and make it tasty
to erlang developers.

Again, re: your talk about resultSet metadata... go for the 80% use
case and make it easy.  Almost all the time you just want to get your
data, you know what order it is in, and just give me the data!  now!
All the extra meta data stuff is great for writing flexible GUIs which
let you do this and that, but most of the queries dont need that.  It
should be available somehow, but not as part of the main result set -
meaning don't return big huge data structures that have all the column
names in it, just return the raw data and nothing but the data.

As for the returning tags to indicate the kind of result, that sounds
good - probably better than my thought :-)

Again, re: transactions, never ever ever assume people will only need
auto-commit mode.  I can't stand that - transactions are THE reason to
use a RDBMs.  Otherwise just use BDB (which supports transactions
btw).  Ok, data richness too, but ssssh.

On to the topic of large resultsets.  The primary interface should
return huge amounts of data - if you forgot 'where' and now you
returned 10mm rows, an out of memory crash is as good as any.  Now,
the foldl() interface is in fact the only way large data sets should
be supported. The other option is to return slices of the dataset at a
time.  That seems kind of icky.

While its good to make Erlang attractive to non-functional
programmers, we must not forget the functional heritage of Erlang _is_
one of its core strengths.  If erlang ever introduces a 'for loop' I
will get very bent out of shape.

-ryan